View an informational sheet on the testosterone screen to share with family and friends.
Testosterone is an important hormone in men for sexual and reproductive development, and plays a role in building muscles and keeping the muscles and bones strong. Testosterone testing will detect an abnormal testosterone level in men. This test is for males only.
What is low testosterone?
Low testosterone, or hypogonadism, is a clinical syndrome that results from the failure of the testes to produce the needed levels of the hormone. Low levels, however, don’t always lead to symptoms. Thus, men aren’t typically tested for low testosterone unless they are experiencing symptoms such as erectile dysfunction, difficulty achieving an orgasm, less-intense orgasm, or low libido. The more symptoms a man has, the more likely he is to have low testosterone.
What are the symptoms of low testosterone?
A male with low testosterone may exhibit one or more of the following symptoms:
- Reduced sexual desire
- Erectile dysfunction
- Change in sleep patterns
- Depression and fatigue
- Increased body fat
- Reduced muscle mass
- Low bone density
What causes low testosterone?
Low testosterone levels are associated with a spectrum of symptoms closely associated with aging. By the time men reach the age of 40, their testosterone levels have begun a slow decline, dropping an estimated 1% to 2% each year, but the rate of decline is not constant across all men.
HOW DO I GET TESTED?
To order your own lab tests, you just need to follow these three easy steps:
- Complete a lab order form for your test online and print it out to take with you to the DLO Patient Service Center. Follow the instructions on the laboratory test order form if fasting is required for the testing you are ordering.
- Visit any DLO Patient Service Center throughout Oklahoma. Check in with our friendly staff and give them your completed order form. Full payment is due at time of service before sample collection is performed. Note that we accept all major credit cards and checks. Unfortunately, we cannot accept cash payments. Have one of our skilled phlebotomists draw a blood sample or take a urine sample, who will send your sample to our laboratory for testing.
- Create a MyQuest™ account and view your test results through the MyQuest online patient portal. Test results are available through MyQuest within 7-10 business days of completing your lab work.
WHAT SHOULD I DO IF MY RESULTS ARE LOW?
It is always recommended you meet with a healthcare provider to determine what your laboratory test results mean to you. Your healthcare provider will review all of your test results and, combined with your health history, will be able to provide an accurate course of action.
If your results were low: If your testosterone levels are low, you should talk to your healthcare provider to determine the right treatment options for you.
WHAT OTHER RESOURCES ARE AVAILABLE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT MY HEALTH AND LABORATORY TESTS?
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: cdc.gov
- Lab Tests Online: labtestsonline.org
- WebMD: webmd.com
DLO Direct™ offers direct access to laboratory testing for informational purposes only. A DLO Direct lab test result is not a medical diagnosis and is not intended as medical advice. Only a healthcare provider can interpret lab results and diagnose a medical condition or disease.
Because tests have not been ordered by a healthcare provider, third party entities, including Medicare and Medicaid, will not reimburse for these tests.