Influenza Type A and B and RSV RNA, Qualitative, Real-Time RT-PCRMain Content
Test code: 16086
CPT code(s): 87631
Methodology: Real-time polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR)
Reference range(s): Not detected
Alternative name(s): Flu A/B,RSV, Influenza virus A/B RNA, QL Real Time PCR
Methodology: Real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR) laboratory developed test (LDT) this test was developed and its performance characteristics have been determined by Focus Diagnostics. Performance characteristics refer to the analytical performance of the test. Tthis test is performed pursuant to a license agreement with Roche molecular systems, Inc.
Clinical significance: This test is used to determine the presence of Influenza A or B in a patient's specimen. Organisms may be detected by PCR prior to diagnosis by immunological methods. PCR provides more rapid results than other methods, including culture.
Additional Preferred Specimen: Sputum
Supply: 142059 VCM Nasal Swab
Preferred specimen(s): Throat or nasal/nasopharyngeal swab in 3 ml m4 media or VCM medium (green-cap) tube or equivalent (UTM). If using swabs, use only sterile dacron or rayon swabs with plastic or wire shafts. Do not use calcium alginate swabs, as they may contain substances that inhibit PCR testing.
- Insert swab into one nostril.
- Rotate swab over surface of posterior nasopharynx.
- Withdraw swab from collection site; insert into transport tube.
- Repeating procedure for the second nostril will deliver optimal combined sample.
- After collection, immediately transport specimen to the laboratory for viral testing and viral antigen detection. If transport to the laboratory is delayed, place specimen on ice or in refrigeration. Indicate source of specimen on both the requisition and specimen transport device.
Minimum volume: 0.35 ml
Alternative specimen(s): 0.85 ml nasopharyngeal, bronchial, or tracheal lavage/wash or sputum respiratory samples in a sterile leak-proof container.
Transport container: M4 media or VCM medium
Transport temperature: Refrigerated (cold packs)
- Room temperature: 48 hours
- Refrigerated: 7 days
- Frozen: 30 days
For additional supply or collection device information, please contact DLO's Customer Service at (800) 891-2917, option 2.
The CPT codes provided are based on AMA guidelines and are for informational purposes only. CPT coding is the sole responsibility of the billing party. Please direct any questions regarding coding to the payor being billed.