Group B Strep TEM-PCR™Main Content
Test Code(s): 95618, TEM-PCR™
Includes: Group B Strep PCR
Note: It is strongly recommended by CDC that a vaginal/rectal swab be collected for pregnant women. Cervical specimens are not recommended and a speculum should not be used for swab collection. Antibiotic susceptibility testing is available on GBS by request. Susceptibility testing can only be performed when the white top ESwab™ tube is used for transport. Specimen stability for susceptibility is two days at ambient or refrigerated temperature.
The GBS sample will be inoculated into a broth supplement overnight if negative on the first day it is tested. It will then be tested again the second day after incubation. This is a CDC recommendation.
Clinical Significance: Group B Streptococci can be one of the most significant pathogens in the neonatal period. The organism is transmitted to the newborn through the birth canal. Prepartum vaginal introitus and anorectal cultures are important to determine carriage.
Alternative Name(s): Streptococcus, Group B, Culture, Group B Strep, Strep
Supply: K144 - TEM-PCR Universal Kit
Preferred Specimen: Vaginal/Rectal swab, Eswab w/ white cap
- Use the ESwab™ Collection Kit (white top tube). Do not use the orange top Genital Health tube.
- Remove the swab and transfer tube from the collection kit. Do not contaminate.
- Swab the lower vagina (vaginal introitus), followed by the rectum (insert the swab through the anal sphincter) using the same swab. Move the swab from side to side, or rotate the swab at the collection site; allowing a few seconds for the organisms to be absorbed by the swab.
* Cervical specimens and speculum assisted collections are not recommended.
- Without contaminating the swab, place the swab in the white top transport tube all the way to the bottom.
- You may either break the swab at the scored breakpoint indication line or rotate the swab 5 times in the solution and discard the swab.Screw the top tightly on the transport tube
For additional supply or collection device information, please contact DLO's Customer Service at (800) 891-2917, option 2.