Lillie Brooks, a phlebotomist at Diagnostic Laboratory of Oklahoma (DLO), shares her story of how she came to DLO and what characteristics it takes to be a successful, caring phlebotomist at DLO.
Under the direction of the area supervisor, a DLO phlebotomy services representative (PSR I) perform daily activities of the Patient Service Center/mobile/in-office phlebotomy accurately and on time. DLO PSRs maintain a safe and professional environment, and perform both the forensic and clinical specimen collection and processing duties following established practices and procedures with confidence. DLO phlebotomists maintain the required records and documentation, demonstrate organizational commitment, and promote a positive image to patients, clients, employees and the public in general.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Greet customers appropriately. Treat all customers in a courteous manner
- Ensures all field phlebotomy and PSC specimens are collected accurately and on time.
- Collects specimens according to established procedures.
- Responsible for completing requisitions accurately.
- Call clients to confirm handwritten orders, verify test(s) ordered, obtain accurate billing information, i.e. diagnosis codes, UPIN information, etc.
- Research test/client information utilizing lab computer system or Directory of Service.
- Label, centrifuge, split, and freeze specimens as required by test order.
- Package specimens for transport.
- Maintains required records and documentation.
- Reads, understands and complies with departmental policies, protocols and procedures: (i.e. procedure manuals, safety manual, compliance manual, automobile policies and procedures, employee handbook, and quality assurance manual).
- Maintains all appropriate PSC/phlebotomy logs.
- Assist with compilation of monthly statistics and data. Submits data on time monthly.
- Perform basic clerical duties, i.e. filing, faxing, preparing mail. Will be required to perform electronic data entry.
- Submits accurate time and travel logs as directed by management and on time.
- Submits accurate expense forms, if applicable, on the required day.
- Demonstrates organizational commitment.
- Adheres to departmental and company code of grooming and dress code and lab coat policies, appearing neat and clean at all times.
- Reports on time to work, following attendance guidelines.
- Answers the telephone in a friendly and helpful manner, by incorporating the company name, self-identification and a helpful statement.
- Communicates appropriately with clients, patients, coworkers and the general public.
- Communicates all unresolved problems immediately to the appropriate manager, supervisor, group leader or PSR II for resolution. Remains polite and courteous at all time.
- Miscellaneous duties and responsibilities.
- Keeps work area neat and clean. Disposes of biohazard containers when scheduled.
- Help with inventories and other tasks as assigned.
- Stock supplies as needed.
- Able to type at least 40 words per minute (WPM)
- Performs other department-related clerical duties when assigned.
- Answers phone and dispatch calls when assigned.
- Participates on teams and special projects when asked.
- All other duties as assigned, within scope of position.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Medical training helpful – medical assistant, paramedic.
- Medical terminology helpful.
- Phlebotomy certification preferred.
- One year of phlebotomy experience - pediatric and geriatric capillary and venipuncture.
- Keyboard/data entry application, if applicable.
- Customer service in a service environment.
- Must be flexible and available based on staffing requirements; weekends, holidays, on call and overtime.
- Must have reliable transportation, valid driver's license, and a clean driving record, if applicable.
- Excellent phlebotomy skills to include pediatric and geriatric.
- Demonstrates good organization, communication, and interpersonal skills, is able to manage concerns of patients and employees in a professional manner.
- Capable of handling multiple priorities in a high volume setting
- Ability to perform data-entry.
For more information on a realistic PSR job preview, watch the video below from Quest Diagnostics