Culture, ThroatMain Content
Test code: 394
Includes: If culture is positive, identification will be performed at an additional charge.
Antibiotic susceptibilities are only performed when appropriate.
Methodology: Bacterial culture, Aerobic routine isolation and Identification procedures; Antibiotic susceptibility testing (when appropriate)
Limitations: Test does not differentiate between patient with acute infection or an asymptomatic carrier.
Clinical significance: The significance of any isolate in pure or mixed culture must be assessed with respect to the source cultured, the organism's pathogenic potential, the possibility of colonization versus infection, and the number of other organisms recovered in the same culture. This test may be useful in the detection of agents of epiglottis and thrush and a. Haemolyticum.
Alternative name(s): Throat culture and susceptibility
Supply: S07 - Amies Liquid Double Swab
Preferred Specimen: Collect throat specimen using BD double swab in Amies Liquid
- Ask the patient to open their mouth and say “AH”.
- Gently depress the tongue with a tongue depressor.
- Guide the swab over the tongue to the posterior pharynx.
- Gently swab the mucosa behind the uvula and between the tonsillar pillars back and forth.
- Remove the swab without touching the tongue, uvula, or lips.
Transport container: Double swabs in Amies liquid
Transport temperature: Room temperature
Specimen stability: Deliver to the microbiology lab as soon as possible.
Room temperature: 2 days
- Expired transport device
- Request for anaerobic culture
For additional supply or collection device information, please contact DLO's Customer Service at (800) 891-2917, option 2.