Urinalysis MicroscopicMain Content
Test Code: 8563
CPT Code(s): 81015
Includes: A microscopic examination is performed
**This order does not include reflex to culture. If reflex to culture is desired, please order test code 3020 Urinalysis complete with reflex to culture. Submit separate gray top urine tube supply #141974.**
Methodology: Microscopic examination
Clinical Significance: Microscopic examination to detect the presence of abnormal urine cells and formed elements.
Supply: U02 - 90mL Sterile Urine Cup w/ Green Lid
Supply: U03 - UA Tube w/ Yellow Cap
Preferred specimen(s): Urinalysis Transport Tube, Yellow Top Blue Fill-Line, Preservative Tube
Preferred volume: 10mL
Specimen Submission Instructions
- Open urine cup
- Fill the pipet with urine from the cup
- Using the dropper, fill to the max fill line (10ML) indicated on the tube label.
- Place yellow top on ths tube.
- Verify patients two identifiers on tube prior to packaging for transport.
- Store at room temperature until pick-up.
Special Instructions: Encourage mid-stream samples to minimize contamination and improve accuracy. Refrigerated unpreserved specimen accepted for pediatric patients only.
Transport container: Yellow-top, blue fill line urinalysis transport tube
Transport temperature: Room temperature
Specimen stability: Room temperature: 72 hours preserved specimen
- Unpreserved specimen (adults)
- Yellow/red swirl-topped conical transport tube with preservative
For additional supply or collection device information, please contact DLO's Customer Service at (800) 891-291, option 2.
The CPT codes provided are based on AMA guidelines and are for informational purposes only. CPT coding is the sole responsibility of the billing party. Please direct any questions regarding coding to the payor being billed.