Urinalysis, Reflex to MicroscopicMain Content
Test Code: 7909
Includes: a microscopic examination is performed, when appropriate, at an additional charge.
**This order code does not include Reflex to Culture**
If reflex to culture is desired: Please order Test Code 3020, “Urinalysis, Complete, with Reflex to Culture”
Methodology: Reagent impregnated strips/tablets/microscopic examination if urine macroscopic or dipstick indicates
Clinical Significance: Dipstick urinalysis measures chemical constituents of urine. Microscopic examination helps to detect the presence of cells, bacteria, yeast and other formed elements.
Supply: U02 - 90mL Sterile Urine Cup w/ Green Lid
Supply: U03 - UA Tube w/Yellow Cap
Preferred specimen(s): 10 ml clean catch mid-stream urine collection using sterile cup - urinalysis transport tube (yellow top, blue fill line, preservative tube). Do not fill above the blue line.
Pediatric specimen(s): Refrigerated unpreserved sample
Specimen Submission Instructions
- Open urine cup
- Fill the pipet with urine from the cup
- Using the dropper, fill to the max fill line (10ML) indicated on the tube label.
- Place yellow top on ths tube.
- Verify patients two identifiers on tube prior to packaging for transport.
- Store at room temperature until pick-up.
Note: The yellow-top tube with blue fill cannot be used for collection and transport of specimen for a urine culture.
Transport container: Yellow-top, blue fill line urinalysis transport tube
- Preserved: room temperature
- Pediatric unpreserved: refrigerated (cold packs)
- Room temperature: 72 hours preserved specimen
- Refrigerated: 24 hours unpreserved pediatric specimen
- Unpreserved specimen (adults)
- Yellow/red swirl-topped conical transport tube with preservative
For additional supply or collection device information, please contact DLO's Customer Service at (800) 891-291, option 2.