Streptococcus Group A Rapid Antigen with Reflex to CultureMain Content
Test Code: 10553
CPT Code(s): 87880
Includes: If Streptococcus Group A Rapid Antigen is negative, a culture will be performed at an additional charge (CPT code(s): 87081).
Methodology: Immunochromatography Bacterial Culture, Aerobic Routine Isolation and Identification Procedures
Clinical Significance: A positive result from the antigen assay or isolation of Group A streptococci by culture from a symptomatic patient is usually considered clinically significant.
Alternative Name(s): Strep A
Supply: S07 - Double swab (red cap) AMIES Liquid Transport Medium
Preferred Specimen: Double swab in Amies Liquid
- Ask the patient to open their mouth and say “Ahh”.
- Gently depress the tongue with a tongue depressor.
- Guide the swab over the tongue to the posterior pharynx.
- Gently swab the mucosa behind the uvula and between the tonsillar pillars back and forth.
- Remove the swab without touching the tongue, uvula, or lips.
Transport Container: Amies liquid swab container
Transport Temperature: Room temperature
- dry swab: 24 hours
- swabs in liquid transport medium: 48 hours
- Cotton tip or calcium alginate swabs
- swabs containing charcoal or semi-solid media
- swabs with wooden shafts
- expired transport device
- dry swabs >24 hours old
- swabs from sources other than throat
For additional supply or collection device information, please contact DLO's Customer Service at (800) 891-2917, option 2.
The CPT codes provided are based on AMA guidelines and are for informational purposes only. CPT coding is the sole responsibility of the billing party. Please direct any questions regarding coding to the payor being billed.