Urinalysis, Complete, with Reflex to CultureMain Content
Test Code: 3020
Clinical Significance: Dipstick urinalysis is important in accessing the chemical constituents in the urine and the relationship to various disease states. Microscopic examination helps to detect the presence of abnormal urine cells and formed elements. Culture may identify the organism(s) causing infection.
Includes: Macroscopic and Microscopic Examinations - A culture is performed, when appropriate, at an additional charge.
Methodology: Reagent Impregnated Strips or Tablets
Supply: U03 - UA Tube w/ Yellow Cap
Supply: U01 - C&S Gray Tube w/ Straw
- 4 ml urine in urine culture tube (gray-top)
- 10 ml urine in urinalysis transport tube (yellow-top, blue fill line, preservative tube)
Preferred Pediatric specimen(s): Refrigerated unpreserved sample
Instructions: Clean catch mid-stream samples which minimize contamination and improve accuracy. If a sample is submitted unpreserved, please indicate that specimens from a pediatric patient (patient is less than or equal to 12 years of age). Label the sample appropriately. Unpreserved urine will be accepted from pediatric patients only.
- Open sterile urine cup
- Fill the dropper with urine from the sterile cup
- Using the dropper, fill to the fill line (4ML) indicated on the tube label.
- Place gray top on tube.
- Verify patients two identifiers on tube prior to packaging for transport.
Transport container: Yellow-top, blue fill line urinalysis transport tube and gray-top urine culture tube
- Preserved: room temperature
- Pediatric unpreserved: refrigerated (cold packs)
- Room temperature: 72 hours preserved specimen
- Refrigerated: 24 hours unpreserved pediatric specimen
- Unpreserved specimen (adults)
- Yellow/red swirl-topped conical transport tube with preservative
For additional supply or collection device information, please contact DLO's Customer Service at (800) 891-2917, option 2.